Is All Mold Bad?
Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Sources: www.epa.gov

It is important to remove any toxic substance which is affecting your health. If you have Asthma or Allergies, it is more important that you remove the problem than try to live with it.

How Many Different Types of Mold Are There?
Molds are fungi that can be found both indoors and outdoors. No one knows how many species of fungi exist but estimates range from tens of thousands to perhaps three hundred thousand or more. Molds grow best in warm, damp, and humid conditions, and spread and reproduce by making spores.  Source:  www.cdc.gov

Depending upon where you live, the level of mold spores outside can be as high as 3200 spores per cubic meter in South Forida inland. If you go to the beach next to the ocean, there is very little or no mold spores in the air.

Is Mold A Fungus?
Mold, one type of fungus, is different from plants, animals and bacteria. Molds are eukaryotic micro-organisms that are decomposers of dead organic material such as leaves, wood and plants. The spores and hair-like bodies of individual mold colonies are too small for us to see without a microscope.

If you step out of your home, you will be surrounded by mold spore growing everywhere. It is part of the Eco-system in which we live. It is normal to be exposed to mold spores outside everyday.

What Does Mold Do To You?
Two of the better-known toxic molds include Stachybotrys chartarum (“black mold“), which can possibly cause everything from headaches to possible cancer, and Aspergillus, which can cause possible severe lung infections, or progress to whole-body infections. Mold is particularly dangerous for infants and children due to their immature immune systems.

The best solution to mold problems is remove and replace any areas that have microbial growth  in them. Ozone and all the so called cures for mold are band-aides and are not a solution. Stop the water and remove the problem.

Leave a Reply